Friday, February 11, 2011

End-of-Semester Reflection/New Semester Anticipation

First of all I must say that it was and is quite exciting to be part of the iPad early adopters--in Higher Education in general, but also one of a very few (only perhaps?) at the community college level. (Thanks to Julie Knapp, Lisa Young, Dustin Fennell.)

When I first heard about this technology, the tech geek in me responded with a resounding, "Meh." (I already had an iPhone, and didn't see much of an advantage in the iPad). However, the educator in me immediately saw a cost-effective tool for typical student computing needs (i.e. web/electronic-based research, word processing, eTexts). If the iPad could live up to its potential, students would be able to meet their books and supplies as well as technology needs at almost half the cost.

After one semester of piloting the iPad with an ENG 101/102 Honors cohort, I started doubting. The iPad proved to have limitations when I attempted complete curricular integration in the classroom. (Well, it wasn't all the iPad's fault.) Bandwith was an issue. I don't think our campus has ever had 19 wireless devices attempting to access the network in such a concentrated space at the same time. So, certain web-based activities proved problematic as six to eight students would not be able to log on. Blackboard functionality also proved problematic and inconsistent in the classroom. Lastly, and in retrospect, I believe I misapproached the tablet technology: 1) I really wanted it to be just a computer in a slim and stylish package, and 2) I really just expected to convert my standard, computer/internet enhanced curriculum over to this new technology. So, really the limitations were just a manifestation of my limited approach.

Now it's a new semester with a new approach. After spending sometime researching the theory and practice of mobile learning, the mixed feelings my students had at the conclusion of the fall semester seems to have been replaced with the same excitement they had when they first found out they would be assigned an iPad. Some of the early iPad activities this spring have been very successful, and we are looking forward to more. We are using this innovative mobile technology to reconceptualize the classroom, enhance collaboration, increase engagement, as well as introduce the analysis and production of visual rhetoric. We cannot just do what we have always done with a new tool. Innovation needs to be reciprocal in this case.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment